Thursday, March 13, 2008

Rants rants

Hey y'all. I'm back for a short post. Uh, boring one in fact.

Other than researching for a LOT of private universities in Sg, I'm also looking at how recognized it is. Prolly most of us are skeptical of how the private as well as the goverment sector will view our degrees in the future. So here it goes.

If you're thinking of going into the private sector, then you're safe with private universities which provides a relatively recognised degree. Let's face it. They are just gonna look at your resume and say, "Oh. You have a degree in _____. Good good." Of course they will try to prefer ppl from local unis, but then they don't care so much to the extent like the government sectors. Experience and the interview is still the most important.

Like what Edric's bro said," The degree is just your ticket to earn an interview to your prospective company. Whether you get the job or not depends on your interview and how well you perform after that." True true. So very true. After you get the job and you perform well, people are not gonna look back and say, " Oh. Your degree's from blablabla school. Not good."

For the government sector though, MUCH depends on the university you come from. So choose wisely. Of course, priority will be given to ppl from NUS, NTU, SMU. Like DUH~. Other than that they pretty much rely on how recognized the university is in the home country. Like is it in Tier 1, 2 or 3 in the home country? Is it good? So on and so forth.

So that's pretty much the difference for the private and the government sector.

Well, people from poly or JC need not be worried. They're SO recognised in the local education system. People who come from private schools like me, starts to get worried and do a hell lot of research, while people from poly or JC don't get what we are doing. In their minds are like, "Oh why do you need to do all this? It's all useless. SIM's the next best."

Hey, SIM's not necessary the next best. It depends on which universities they are partnering with. Other private schools like MDIS, PSB, APMI Kaplan, EASB are linking up with good schools as well. So don't look down on them. Seriously speaking, the school is just a platform for the partnered universities to teach their stuff and do their magic. The most important thing is still the partnered university cause you're gonna have a degree that says," Awarded by blablabla university." Isn't that right? So stop putting the other schools down. I've done my research too. What makes you think that because I'm from Shatec, I can't study?? In fact, I could have gone to a really good university. But I gave up that opportunity cause I don't want to burden my dad. It was way too expensive. UMass... Sigh.

Rants rants rants. I got fed up by stubborn people lah. Not TOO stubborn, but well, they can afford to be stubborn and just go ahead with SIM. But i'm just saying, it may not be the best choice. Open up to other options. Grr. Pek chek to explain you know?


Here's a table with university rankings. It's all in alphabetical order.
Mr Larry Haverkamp wrote this website. He is adjunct professor of economics at Singapore Management University and serves on the Central Committee of the Consumer Association of Singapore (Case)

I don't know how true it is, but so far, I believe it. Take it with a pinch of salt. Don't freaking blame me if anything's out of place.

I just needed to rant a bit.
Jaa.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home